The beginning of the lignite mining dates back to 1786 when the owner of the premises Christian Philipp Clam-Gallas started the first attempt of mining this Tertiary and rather low-quality coal. Opening of several smaller shafts nearby today’s state border followed. One of the bigger shafts was called Christian, named after the owner of the Grabštejn premises. This shaft was closed down at the end of the 19th century, but after discovering new reserves the mining started in 1926 again.
The Nisa River was led to today’s straight river bed in the 1930s due to the mining expansion. The underground mining changed to the surface mining in 1952, and it continued until it was closed down in 1972. Today’s Kristýna Lake is the most visible remains of the mining times in Hrádek nad Nisou.
The holiday resort Kristýna in Hrádek nad Nisou is known for its constant good-quality water for swimming. It is also a good place to be when you want to go to the Lusatian and the Zittau Mountains and neighbouring Poland. Camping site, cottages or B&B accommodation is available, and it is possible to rent a bike, scooter or visit a rope park there. For those who prefer flowing water there is the boat rental – it is possible to go down the Nisa River from Machnín to German town Ostritz.
In-line skaters will also enjoy surroundings of Kristýna; in-line trails connect Hrádek nad Nisou with Trojmezí and Kristýna site.