Horní Sedlo Chapel (Upper Saddle Chapel)
It says in the municipal chronicle that the grandparents of the village leader Anton Andersch paid for the construction of the chapel in 1793. It was consecrated to the Holy Trinity and the Holy Family in the 19th century. On two occasions it was almost destroyed. The first time was in the 19th century and it was a long period before it was repaired.
On September 28th, 1890 there was a big celebration for the chapel’s reinstallment. A new bell was installed at the same time. Further reconstruction took place in 1931 thanks to contributions of both, money and material, by the local villagers.
As with many of these chapels and monuments, at the outbreak of the World War II, it fell into disrepair. At the beginning of the 21st century the roof collapsed allowing extensive damage to the main arch and walls. During this period of time many internal features were lost. Just in time the local people once more came to the rescue of the building and with the help of financial donations by Sdružení pro záchranu drobných sakrálních památek (The Union for Rescue of the Sacral Monuments), Nadace Občanského fóra (Občanské fórum Foundation) and the town of Hrádek nad Nisou, moreover with the contribution of local craftsmen’s time and expertise the chapel was restored to its present condition between years 2004 and 2006. The paintings and the facade were restored later in 2017.
The chapel has a rectangular groundplan. It rests on cuboid shaped sandstone blocks. The saddle roof was rebuilt from fibre–cement to resemble the original slate roof. There is an orb and a cross on the octagonal turret on the roof. The two parts of the chapel are divided by a ledge and the portal stands above the ledge. Above the door there is a triangular tympanon lined with a ledge which continues around the chapel under the roof. The ceiling is constructed with cross arches.
For many years the chapel was hidden in the shadow of a large linden-tree which has since been removed leaving only a stump.
Near to this baroque style chapel you can see a bunker left over from the defensive structures built prior to the World War II.