At the foot of Guślarz, south of Białopol, leaks the Biedrzychówka stream, the right tributary of the Lusatian Nisa river. Biedrzychówka trough was moved south several times during the mine expansion period. The retention tank built between 1964 – 1967 divides the Plebianka river valley and it is the only source of drinking water for Bogatynia. There is also the daily buffer tank in the vicinity of the power plant with the capacity of 45 000 cubic meters.
Both permanent and temporary wetlands, artificial and natural reservoirs can be found near springs, at the mine tailing impoundment foot and along the Nisa river and also along natural streams.
The tank copying the natural terrain shape was built in Turoszow basin in 1972. In its three geological formations there are four aquifers and the trough shape enables the existence of the artesian water. The groundwater containing ferrous sulfate (FeSO₄) was discovered in the terciary sediment zone.
The healing springs from Opolno Zdrój and its surroundings were quite popular during the interwar period but the water sources were later devastated by the mining.
Nowadays this highly industrialized town is not able to supply its population by their own water sources and the water has to be pumped from the reservoir Witka in nearby Zgorzelec. According to German chronicles the Bogatynia area was struck by 37 floods between 1592 and 1916.